Kona Fishing Charters for Families: A Complete Guide
A family that fishes together, stays together! And what better way to enjoy fishing than to book a Kona fishing charter? Kailua-Kona, Hawaii is known for its beautiful waters and abundant marine life, making it the perfect destination for a fishing trip with your loved ones. In this post, we will provide you with a complete guide on Kona fishing charters for families, including everything you need to know about booking, what to expect, and how to make the most out of your experience.
What we will cover:
- What is a Fishing Charter?
- Why Choose Tantrum for Families?
- Types of Kona Fishing Charters
- What to Expect on a Kona Fishing Charter
- How to Prepare for a Fishing Charter
- Tips for a Successful Fishing trip for Families
- Best Time to Book a Kona Fishing Charter (Hint: Anytime)
- How to Book a Kona Fishing Charter
- Safety on Fishing Charters
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
What is a Fishing Charter?
Believe it or not, there are people and companies that are paid to fish everyday, what a great life! These trips take place on boats of all sizes that are equipped with fishing gear, technology and operated by experienced captains who know the best spots to catch local fish. Even with all that, sometimes these boats don’t catch but that is the fun of it. These charters can be booked by individuals, groups, or families who are looking to enjoy a fishing trip in the beautiful waters of Kailua-Kona.
Why Choose Tantrum Sportfishing for Families?
Tantrum is perfect for families who are looking to spend quality time together while enjoying an outdoor activity. It provides a unique opportunity for families to bond over a shared interest in fishing and explore the beautiful island sites and waters of Kona. Moreover, our captain ensures the safety and comfort of our passengers, making it a worry-free activity for families.
Types of Kona Fishing Charters
There are different types of fishing charters that families can choose from depending on their preferences and level of experience. Some of the most popular types of Kona fishing charters include:
Shared Charters: Ideal for families who are looking for a more affordable option. These charters allow families to share a boat with other individuals or groups, which can help reduce the cost of the trip. However, it is important to note that the catch is divided equally among the passengers.
Private Charters: This is the best option in my opinion for families for two reasons. Sharing a boat in Kona is not an ideal situation. First of all, Kona is know as a “big fish” fishery. Meaning we are more likely to catch 1-2 bigger fish than a multitude of smaller fish. However we can do that too. Secondly, who wants to share a boat with their family and some other strangers? Private charters are little larger investment, but offer families a more personalized experience. These charters allow families to have the entire boat to themselves and to choose the type of fishing they want to do. Moreover, families can bring their own food and drinks and enjoy a more customized experience. Tantrum only offers private charters.
What to Expect on a Kona Fishing Charter
On a Kona fishing charter for families, families can expect to have a fun and exciting day out on the water regardless whether they catch fish or not. The experienced captain and crew will take care of everything, from navigating the boat to providing fishing gear and bait. Families might also get to see a variety of marine life, including dolphins, whales, turtles and even the occasional shark.
The length of the trip will depend on the type of charter booked, but most Kona fishing charters last between four and eight hours. During the trip, families will have the opportunity to catch a variety of fish, depending on the type of charter booked. The captain and crew will provide guidance and assistance to ensure families have the best chance of catching fish.
How to Prepare for a Kona Fishing Charter for Families
Preparing for a Kona fishing charter for families is important to ensure a successful and enjoyable experience. Here are some tips on how to prepare:
- Choose the right charter that suits the preferences of the family. Private charters offer a more personalized experience, while shared charters are more affordable.
- Pack sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and lightweight clothing to protect against the sun. It is also important to bring a camera to capture the memories.
- Snacks and drinks to keep the family energized throughout the day. Avoid alcohol, as it can cause seasickness and dehydration. If alcohol and boats don’t bother you then enjoy to hearts content.
- If any family members are prone to seasickness, it is recommended to take medication before the trip. Ginger-based remedies and wristbands are also effective in preventing seasickness.
- There is wifi on the boat so whether its streaming your favorite show or playing games on your phone, it can help pass the time between bites.
- Playing cards or board games can be fun too.
Tips for a Successful Kona Fishing Charter for Families
Here are some tips to ensure a successful and enjoyable Kona fishing charter for families:
- Enjoy the captain and crew: They are a wealth of experienced and knowledgeable about the best spots to catch fish. They have spent years on island and can give you lots of ideas to enjoy your stay. They love to talk story.
- Be Patient: Fishing can be a waiting game, so it is important to be patient and enjoy the experience of being out on the water with the family.
- Have Fun: Fishing is a fun and exciting activity that brings families together. Make the most of the experience and enjoy spending time with the family. It can go from nothing to explosive in the blink of an eye.
Best Time to Book a Kona Fishing Charter for Families
- There is never a bad time to fish in Kona. There are certain months where some types are fish are more prevalent than others depending on water temperature, current etc.
How to Book a fishing charter
- Booking a fishing charter is easy and can be done online or over the phone. It is important to book in advance to ensure availability, especially during times when kids are out of school.
Safety and Charter Fishing
- All professional charter boats must be Coast Guard certified and they take safety very seriously. We do recommend that if there are two children under the age of 10 that it is wise to have two adults on board as well. The water is generally very calm in Kona but sometimes the boat rocks and having an extra set of hands for the little ones can be helpful. Plus it good have someone who can handle the camera while the other person is helping the child reel in fish if needed.
A fishing charter for families is a fun and exciting way to spend a day out on the water. Enjoy the experience, take lots of pictures and be prepared to potentially hook up to the fish of a lifetime.
Q: Is fishing experience necessary for a Kona fishing charter for families?
A: No, fishing experience is not necessary. The captain and crew will provide guidance and assistance to ensure families have the best chance of catching fish.
Q. Can children participate in reeling in the fish?
A. Yes, of course that’s what makes it so fun! However, it is important to ensure they are supervised and follow the captain’s instructions.
Q. What type of fish can people catch on a Kona fishing charter?
A. The type of fish families can catch on a Kona fishing charter depends on the type of charter booked. Some common fish species include marlin, spearfish, mahi-mahi, tuna, and ono.
Q. What is the difference between a private and shared Kona fishing charter?
A. private Kona fishing charter offers a more personalized experience, while a shared charter is more affordable and allows families to fish with other individuals or families.
Q. What happens if the weather is bad on the day of the Kona fishing charter?
A. If the weather is bad on the day of the charter, the charter company will try to reschedule the trip. If the trip can’t be rescheduled, the charter would be refunded. It is important to check the company’s cancellation policy before booking.